ANOTHER THIEF!!!!

Discussion started by qur

This guy; https://www.cgtrader.com/oldschoolmodel

is clearly converting ripped in game car models to stl files and selling here.He thinks clearing textures is a good cover :) I don't think he even checks for water-tightness of the models.

I don't expect CGTRADER to do anything but I ran in to this guy and wanted to share the laziness. LOL

Answers

Posted over 3 years ago

That also made me suspicious, maybe the main model was uploaded for free, and them someone put it there again for a price. Yeah, I'll check it out.

trimitek wrote
trimitek
That's unlikely. Thieves often buy models with stolen credit cards. They don't actually pay for it, so it's worth nothing for them. It's more likely the path was longer though - somebody bought the model with stolen credit card, then it made it's way to the warez sites that make money from traffic/adds and from there somebody uploaded it here. It's very likely the account that you had downloaded the model from to contain other stolen models too.
Posted over 3 years ago

I haven't. But now that you mentioned, I think I shall inform both the site and the owner. Because, this is an awful act.

qur wrote
qur
Please do.
qur wrote
qur
And one more thing, you need to check the upload dates of both free and 200$ model. The first one uploaded must be the original. Maybe the 200$ is original and someone gives it away for free.
Posted over 3 years ago

Funny enough, I downloaded a robot model from CGT for free a couple of years ago, and then I saw the same model for 200 bucks or so. It seems like someone had downloaded the pricy one and then uploaded the same model for free. I don't know why people would do that? To ruin someone else's business?

qur wrote
qur
Wow i have never heard this type of thievery before in CGT. Most of them just downloads from warez sites and uploads here but this is another level. Did you informed the owner of the model?
luxxeon wrote
luxxeon
That's a good question. I remember when I was first starting out, I had a bunch of models out there for free. I didn't think they were actually good enough to sell, so I wanted to give them away and see if people found them useful. Well, to my dismay, people would tend to download the models and then resell them on sites like this (this is before I joined here). So, in an attempt to discourage this behavior, I joined here and started selling my previously free models myself, with a lower price. Once I started selling the models, then people would offer them in other places again for free! So at that point I found it to be a losing battle, and just abandoned freebies for a while. It just wasn't worth the headaches.
Posted over 3 years ago

This is stolen 3d model (that is on sale here on cgt as 3d printable model) from mobile game csr racing 2. The extensively used custom normals to keep polycount low so it won't be resource heavy. This particular part only have 1 "strip" of polygons. Reseting normals on that part spoils shading completly. In Fact the whole model is done using hard edges/custom normals technique, there are no support loops for anything and that's before non-manifold geometry, intersecting faces and as luxxeon said thicknes problems comes in. From certain distance it looks like a high poly model and that's enough to fool someone to buy it, and of course it's still on sale, don't miss your chance to buy high quality 3d printable model of Bugatti Chiron.

https://ibb.co/XLD0w9t

Posted over 3 years ago

And it's not only thievery, but also scam and fraud. I'm in rapid prototyping industry more than 20 years and I can say rock-solid-sure that 99.9% of all those ripped models can't be printed without very big amount of job that may take more time than modeling from scratch considering all criteria for 3d printing or CNC machining.
It's very bad that CGT allows (in my opinion not only allows but stimulates) horde of scammers. I'm agree with @trimitek about transformations of market and lot more agree with @Mineral3D that those changes are going in catastrophic negative direction.
And partially with humor: in 5-10 years we will be faced with the flood of AI-generated models and that flood will wash away from the market all of us: designers and thieves both.

LowPolyVehicles wrote
You can freely say 100% , maybe more. Non-manifold geometry, polygon reduction wich affect topology etc. Most of them can't even be subdivided. Those are two totaly different approaches, printable vs game models. I think CGT understands this very well but they just don't want to look in that direction.
Mineral3D wrote
Mineral3D
When complex AI-generated models come then probably robots reproduce themselves and "stupid" mankind will be eliminated by them. So nothing to worry about anymore.
LemonadeCG wrote
LemonadeCG
@Mineral3D, training AI to make good topology complex 3D models vs inventing "self-conscious" general AI is incomparable in complexity. The former will hapen much sooner, the later might never happen at all.
Mineral3D wrote
Mineral3D
If you had told someone that cars equipped with radar and other sensors would be able to drive by themselves not so long ago you'd be called nuts. Apart I was kidding a bit it is really scary how far AI is developed already in some asian countries concerning androids who learn from data from the internet and interaction with humans. And "war robots" are no sci-fi anymore already.
luxxeon wrote
luxxeon
This is the truth. Most of those models are going to be too thin if they are even manifold at all. In fact, most of them will have so many thin wall issues, you wouldn't even be able to print them on the most accurate SLS or resin printers in the world. They would also have interior pieces that need to be printed separately, so those pieces will have to be unwelded from the model, etc. It's a crazy amount of work that probably wouldn't result in success even if you were patient enough to do all of that laborious fixing. Crazy.
Posted over 3 years ago

I don't want to be negative but I don't like where this is going!

Posted over 3 years ago

The level of piracy had became extremely obvious in the last few years.
I suspect, there will be some big changes in the market, because of that.

Mineral3D wrote
Mineral3D
Big changes into the negative direction...
Posted over 3 years ago

Clearing textures and making other modifications (as seen on other products) any child can do...
- That's the "new" way of "modelling". So you can't call those "3D Artists" lazy really (sarcasm) !
The problem is that you don't have enough proof to get them deleted even though it's obvious where most of those "creations" come from.
Some of those get some of their models removed, a few banned while the next dozen floods this place or returns with new "creations"...

Mineral3D wrote
Mineral3D
Stealing up to 4 things is no theft, 1 or 2 more neither in some case. But stealing more must be stealing.... - Luckily that's not the case in real life yet. Break into 4 houses - alright....

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat