Advertising

Discussion started by beckstation

Hello all,

If a member of CG-Trader Staff reads this, I would be very interested to know what you think.

I use a site called Artstation as a portfolio type area for my CG work. I see many different advertisers on there for other 3D related sites. I was interested to know if at any point, CG-Trader may begin advertising on sites like these. Its common knowledge that this site makes lots of money for itself, and I think it would be awesome to see that money put back into the site via adverts and other good means, rather than random evens like free $200 CG-Trader credit; which is great, but lets face it, doesn't provide the best increase in sales to the users here.

I am interested to know CG-Traders response, and hopefully, we gain an understanding of their plans for the site promotion. We are all a family of like minded people here, its best we all knew what the 'leaders' of the group had in mind :)

-Alex

Answers

Posted over 6 years ago

It's an interesting idea and definitely better than stupid 200$ CGT credits. There should be only discounts because giving 200 CGT credits is really nonsense cause they are given for customer loyalty. But you're right I never seen a CGT advertisement and CGT Staff should at least try if it attracts new buyers.

LemonadeCG wrote
LemonadeCG
Don't get me even started with those credits. They gone way way too far with that discount program.
Posted over 6 years ago

I use art station too! So far it is pretty good but I would advertise on Amazon and Netflix too they have a wider impact on the global community.

LemonadeCG wrote
LemonadeCG
Cgtrader's target audience is 90%+artstation visitors and probably less than 0,01% of amazon or netflix users. Cost of one week's advertising on those networks, would probably buy you year advertising time on artstation, behance and cgsociety. You should be pretty dumb to waist your money on advertising your business where your target audience is non existant.
Posted over 6 years ago

@beckstation, why don’t you add links next to your works on those Artstation pages?

Every page I have on artstation contains links to my work here to ensure that every sole I can catch over there gets directed to my pages over here.

If everyone would do that, then everyone on Artstation would become to accept CGtrader as the norm.

Also consider Artstation has a state of the art following system linked to a mail info delivery system that you can use to your advantage (that's why I’m on Artstation).

If you manage to get followers then you know you can drop them links to your products directly in mailbox (remember, they get updates about new things you do, including the links you add in your comments).

It would be nice if CGtrader would have same type of system running here so that Artstation people would use it over here because now some of them are using it in combination with Gumroad and that's not great.

Gumroad has very poor presentation tools and almost 0 means to get views on your page directly, the personal page is also very basic and missing same value like you get it on CGtrader (up-rank, provide extensive information/presentation, communication, etc.).

Anyways, you could even stamp your images with a link.
Great artworks that circulate everywhere with a CGtrader stamp on it would be some of the best marketing around. If you have read the recent blog entry you know that is exactly what they are after right now so they are doing superb job on marketing if you ask me.

beckstation wrote
beckstation
I understand what your saying, but my point isn't about people just seeing my works [maybe I worded it a little like that] but people visiting CG-Trader as a whole, Hence, why the idea of them advertising on sites like Artstation or others is what I am on about. Yes I can link back to this site whenever I wish to, and perhaps I shall, but the main point was the idea of CG-Trader, advertising the website as a whole, to the CG community. :)
Posted over 6 years ago

Yes I agree with beckstation even if you get followers on there that is not enough and followers are not necessarily buyers so that way of thinking doesn't work.

Instead of getting more credits for buying more models which in general is useless to sellers it would be much better to earn a few days of your best selling models showing up on the front page of CGT or the reward could be your models show up on Amazon, netflix IMDB or places where your content is very visible.

I have an artstation account but just like every other account I have I get very little views https://www.artstation.com/vegan

The key is always about getting views from people with wallets and interest in purchasing the rest is history lol!

Posted over 6 years ago

Miaomiao3d, Beckstation and IterateCGI. Unintended or not, but thank you for inspiring me to use Artstation. I haven't thought of it before. Any idea how much traffic it generates? If it improve sales?

beckstation wrote
beckstation
I don't use it as such for getting sales here, but mainly for my own portfolio. Its a great site, and used by many many people.
miaomiao3d wrote
miaomiao3d
You are very welcome!
Posted over 6 years ago

@beckstation, If you look at the success of CGtrader statistically then you know its position is very good, it takes 4 million visits per month and its position on Google search is also at the top, so no real problem with the visibility as a whole.

I just want to warn that telling CGtrader to boost up traffic (always good they do) would probably not salve the problems for some, its not up to CGtrader alone to make tings work

(Side question, do you have statistical tools to measure the impact of the CG credits?).

Anyway’s, there is lots of traffic here but you only need to know what they are watching and buying, CGtrader also delivers great tools for getting a view on that.

CGtrader can do massive marketing and maybe get to 10 million visits per month but that does not change anything for some individuals on this large platform.

Selling 3D stock is a competitive business and you need to know what others are doing and do it better or get creative and make top of the line unique stuff that somebody ells wants/needs.
But you also need to get good position on this platform to be able to get some views from that massive traffic, so using external tools like artstation, behance, deviant art, polycount, pinterest, etc., to spread your work can help rank the page up here and get some more visibility.

You know most people do not browse to page 80 or something.

Also push some of your best art upfront (use it as click bate) and get people to glimpse (flash the memory) at your offers, chances are they remember/recall if they need something like it in the future.

Using clickbate to push something upfront can help you get some other products into view. For example I have this spaceship that is not intended for sale but jet I have it here to lure in traffic from other websites. Even motion graphers like spaceships so it does not matter what art you make, just make it pop (its clickbate :-p).

Pinterest is a great tool to trow in this clickbate and let others move your link all over the place (whenever someone pins something on their board someone ells may in turn pluck it from theirs).

I know no one asked for this advice but I give it anyways as I’m confident this would work better then maybe start thinking someone ells needs to do something to make things work (not insinuating you do), don't wait for it because CGtrader already is doing top of the bill marketing and generates massive traffic + delivers a top selling platform, all ingredients to make it work are already here.

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat