Looking for pricing feedback!

Discussion started by jonlundy3d

Hello artists of CGTrader!

First time posting here on the forum. I was just looking for some feedback on the pricing of my models. I used to sell exclusively on TurboSquid and made decent money there, but eventually realized there are much better sites for artists who value having a relationship with their customers and a platform to show off their work, so I concentrate more on sites like CGTrader now.

I create mostly low poly models for students, hobbyists, or developers on a budget. My models are not particularly intricate, but they are modeled and textured thoughtfully and are of high quality in my opinion. I try to create cheap content, but I also don't want to sell myself short or turn off buyers because of very low prices. I also recognize that undercutting is a very real problem on these sites. I was hoping to get some opinions on my prices. Too low? Just right? It's a fine line to walk. Any feedback would be appreciated!

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models?optimized=1&author=jonlundy3d

Answers

Posted about 4 years ago

I would lower the price on those Star Wars items, no professional will buy those as you cant use them commercially (basically those can only be sold under Editorial License), ok for education or hobby. The models sold with Royalty Free License I would actually rice those prices, you have it kind of backwards, so rise price targeting professionals, lower price targeting hobbyists.

The P-51 can be 30 dollars easily, there are lots of P-51 but not as low poly, people filtering on poly count will filter out all those other P-51 models.
Same for the cars and tent, target those for game defs and set them to around 30 or 40 dollars.
The textures on those are great and that's the actual value for mobile phone game defs.

Anyways, if those star wars models sell for that price then maybe keep it but definitely rise those on the pro models.

Also keep in mind if you stay selling on Turbosquid as a non exclusive you potentially lose money. You actually swing some of your own clients to that expensive platform and give them 60% cut to sustain it. Every 3D stock media customer has at least two accounts or multiple and buy at the point they just happen to be logged in and find what they need. Make that point where they find it the point you want to sell it. Don’t believe Ts has a large amounts of clients that look no where ells, its a small number of people, losing those you make up with higher royalty you get at better selling points.

Posted about 4 years ago

Thank you For taking the time to read and giving some feedback! Believe it or not the Star Wars models are hands down my best sellers, so I probably won’t modify the price on those, but I will definitely experiment with raising the price on my royalty free licensed products.. I’m all for making more money :)
That’s a great point about Turbosquid too.. definitely a gamble removing my models from their store but it’s something to think about. I certainly prefer selling on CGTrader. Thanks again for the advice!

pstudio3d wrote
Maybe make price bigger on the TS to receive same money as here :)
iterateCGI wrote
iterateCGI
@pstudio3d, that's the problem, they don't allow you to add that huge cost on top of your product to recover those expenses. They basically demand you set price on your models the same as you set them elsewhere or they adjust prices themselves. It’s pointless and everyone working with them is supporting its existence, feeding them energy while doing self destructive competition against own stores/platforms (actually competing against yourself/the platforms in Google ranking, etc.). CGtrader needs almost perpetual discount on your models here to correct for that, hens Ts figures it needs to fights back, etc, etc. Non of that is necessary, you can just be here, disable discounts, make twice as much and up-rank your best store/platform.
Posted about 4 years ago

I think that no equipment(Military) should cost 10-15 dollars)
10-15 dollars should cost objects (interior.props,etc) of medium difficulty...

jonlundy3d wrote
jonlundy3d
Thanks for reading! Are you saying you think low poly military models should be priced much higher?
MovART wrote
MovART
Of course,it's a lot of work!
Posted almost 4 years ago

That’s a exceptional point approximately Turbosquid too.. Genuinely a chance disposing of my models from their save however it’s some thing to consider. I certainly decide on selling on CGTrader. Thanks again for the recommendation! here https://karlogaragedoorsandgates.com/

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat