Starting out in Blender

Discussion started by cybergecko1

Hello everyone,

I bought a 3d model from this site and I'm having trouble opening the file in Blender. Any help and insight into this would greatly be appreciated. How would I open files in Blender? What type of file should I download as there are many different types listed?

Thanks

Answers

Posted over 3 years ago

In blender I recommend .fbx as a non native archive, this is a format i use on it as well as rhinoceros, 3dmax.

Posted almost 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion SimonTGriffiths I will try it.

I agree with SimonTGriffiths, still if you're blender is the latest version, you shouldn't have any issues opening the .blend file.

Perhaps you would be better downloading the fbx (if there is one) and then importing it into Blender as the version shouldn't matter then.

It seems like it doesn't work here in the forum talk. So, the best way would be to follow my instructions. Do you see a .blend file in the folder of the model?

cybergecko1 wrote
sorry for the late response but I believe I see the .blender file

Taking a screenshot depends on your operating system.

on Mac os:
you need to hold shift + command + 3

On windows 10:
you should just push the print scrn button
On windows 7:
again use print scrn to take the screenshot, then open up paint and push ctrl + v to paste it, then save the image.

After you've taken the screenshot you can easily drag and drop it in this conversation.

cybergecko1 wrote
My computer is not letting drag and drop

So, first you unzip the package, then what do you get? Can you send a screenshot of the unzipped folder?

cybergecko1 wrote
how would I send a screenshot of the unzipped folder to you

Hi there, have you checked the file version so far?

cybergecko1 wrote
they all are zip files

.blend - native Blender format. You can open it with menu File -> Open. Also, Blender can import .dae, .fbx, .abc, .obj and other (menu File -> Import). Some of additional import/export plugins you can enable in Edit -> Preferences -> Add-ons (for Blender version 2.8+).

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat