Messy Topology

Discussion started by CoderXTech

Hello Guys,
I tried to create a 3D model of lion
here : https://www.cgtrader.com/gallery/project/lion-3d-model
But I have messy topology, I can't rig or texture it
and this pushed me to search for a solution yeah I did I've known a new term called retopology that means recreating mesh with clean suitable topology
also there are add-ons for this, some are paid and some are free and some are not technically an add-on, they are external softwares, I tried what were free, but I ain't got suitable topology because all parts of my 3d model (lion) have the same density of topology, but I want more density in head, eye socket ,etc..
So, Manual or automatic ?
Manual gives me the freedom of recreating topology but takes much time.
Automatic does all thing automatically fast as possible but without desired topology

I am really confused

Answers

Posted 3 months ago

- Retopology is not a new term, unless you classify any term that's been around for the last 20 years "new".
- Your screenshots don't show the topology. We need to see the wireframe to determine anything (best if the wireframe is displayed on top of the mesh, not just a wireframe view).
- What do you mean you cant texture it? What does that have to do with the topology? If you retopo you will lose your UV channels, thus you need to re-texture. You can always do a Bake to Texture technique if the silhouette shape is similar after.

Doesn't matter if you repoto automatically or manual, what matters is if its correct for your outcome. You should test it in small parts for example shoulders, hands, toes. Can you rig it, does it move correctly without skin tearing etc. You should be doing things in small steps to test your tools, test how far you can push things and when you get the result you need you can roll that out over other parts of the mesh to see if it holds up. If it doesnt, back to the drawing board.

If you want to build characters/animals etc you should understand how the joints work and build the topology to suit those joints. This takes practice, lots of it. Once you get the hang of it you will see immediately how to fix these problems before they even arise. The fact you are asking tells me you probably dont have much experience, and thats ok. But if thats the case then I suggest you spend a few months practicing and get good with rigging those joints since shoulders are different to knees, and other joints, etc. Once you get the hang of that then you can texture.

CoderXTech wrote
CoderXTech
I didn't care about topology wireframe as it's very messy to show , I mean I want to have a clean topology to texture it , I haven't texture it yet because I will lost my uv map as you mentioned
3DCargo wrote
3DCargo
if you are asking for help about topoplogy and dont actually show the topology (wireframe) then there is nothing we can help you with (this would be like someone saying "whats wrong with this photo of my dog?", and then they show you a photo of their car). Like I said you can have a texture on the messy object and aslong as the silhouette does not change much you can bake that texture to the new geometry. This is often useful when doing things like photogrammetry where you original mesh is billions of triangles but has a good base texture which you then bake onto your reptopo geometry with a very basic quadrified automatic remesh (automatic retopology). Just make sure your new retopo geometry has nice clean UVs to bake to (non-overlapping). Just keep in mind when it comes to moving/rigged objects, you need to pay close attention to the joints and any moving parts if you are also doing muscles that deform with the bones.
3DCargo wrote
3DCargo
Here's another way to think about it, some people are great at sculpture and character design and do their work in Zbush. Lets use an example of a combat human being. They create highly detailed ammo belt, armor and helmet, face, skin pores with carved intricate details etc. They paint each area with skin tones, ammo colors, armor colors etc. That character is then retopologized with a more basic form for game animation (geometry). All joints (knees, shoulders, fingers, toes etc) are checked for skin deformation for rigging. Then the (geometry) details are baked from the high poly into the low poly into diffuse/normal/gloss/height maps they can use as a base for their real-time character. In a studio this would be a hierarchy, otherwise you do it yourself. That would be character concept sculptor/designer and maybe painter then, character retopology then, character rigger then, texture baker then, character texture adjustment. This is why I say you need to practice, I did this for film/tv commercials and it takes a team or a lot of patience from a single person, so you need to work through it bit by bit. My point is not all texturing is done on clean geometry, in cases like this and in photogrammetry its the complete opposite of 'standard workflow'. But you must understand the consequences to each action and how you deal with it at a later point.
Posted 3 months ago

Everything is much simpler. Cooperate with this dude https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/character/woman/emma-watson-c9181aa2-548a-4682-a9c6-7890c75c27a8 he definitely knows how to make it cool without skills in anatomy, topology and other useless crap. Add this model https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/furniture/other/wardrobe-cartoon and you can start fan-made film making The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Crooked polygon edition.

3DCargo wrote
3DCargo
haha, top notch, next gen!

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat