mentors and feedback

Discussion started by hagaghhagag

my last topic got removed for some reason, i still need help with feedback my models are of good quality and made up to cg trader standards ... all i need is someone to help me by giving me feedback and help me improve... and i'll give you free models

Answers

Posted 10 months ago

Asking for feedback is different from asking for a mentor. Feedback is a once off request and a mentor is an ongoing commitment that requires a great deal of effort/time which is expensive.

I will give you some feedback but I don't want anything in return:
- Don't give away your models for free (as per your request in this thread).
- Yours models are too cheap, your prices are undercutting other sellers.
- The customers that come here are also 3D artists and are looking for products that save them time and are high quality. The product should be either very detailed/difficult to make, in demand or unique/hard to find. Yours customers are most likely experts who need something in a short amount of time, quality is of utmost importance.
- Presentation consistency, your products have black backgrounds, white backgrounds, different angles. Try to keep some consistency for a professional presentation.
- Demand, are people looking for those products? Do your research.
- Product descriptions, you have about 1 sentence per product. People need to know more, description, features, file formats, use type, technical, etc.
- You should be more specific in your questions, are you asking because you are not selling much? Good answers come from good questions. If you are not clear in what you want then you wont get it. This is almost akin to this thread, you write one sentence and expect people to interpret what you mean by it. Be specific, write a list of questions and put some thought/effort into it.
- There is also many many threads on these topics already, just spend some time and search for each one you might learn a lot.

Posted 10 months ago

the part about undercutting other artists is not something i want havn't been selling models for long... which i started doing to try and make my models as standardised as possible... i don't mean to sell below their price i'm just still more intrested in improving i only have 18 models on sale... never had a teacher or mentor for cgi and i know most people won't care enough for that but still had to ask... feedback is enough to get me going though.. thanks for the tips helped alot

Posted 10 months ago

Its evident you are still new, models that cost $2 are a warning sign to the customer which means either they are buying a product that will have faults or its stolen. Both of which are bad for the customer since they don't want to fix issues on a model they paid for since that's the whole point of buying the model, it needs to be complete and do what is expected of it whether that is for a render or game etc. Second if your descriptions are lacking then its suspicious and difficult to trust your Royalty Free license, since the customer is liable to be sued for any IP infringement and thus not worth $2 since that could be a $100,000+ law suit. This is just a blanket statement since the customer should do their own research regarding IP but just explaining my thoughts.

Since you are new if I were you I would do a top-down approach. Sit down for awhile and think of where you want to be in 5 years. At the end of that 5 years what should your library look like, what products are you selling, who is your target market, what is your target platform? For example I see you like medieval/ancient category, so build a palace or unique ancient structure with a lot of detail. Who is looking for this, make sure its on their radar. Can you spend 6 months building this and sell it for $500, if its in demand and has good attention to detail its not a big asking price and you will have lots of assets from that you can then sell individually or build upon for your next project shortening your time etc.

Think about your future target market, what do you want to be known for? Are you looking to target the real-time market? If so then make sure all of your models are real-time ready with Unity/Unreal assets ready to drop in and then you become 'the real-time medieval guy' for example. This is called a niche, sure you can make other stuff if you get bored (all creatives do), but keep a long term focus and it will pay off if you are consistent over time.

Being new you also have to realize that its harder for you to sell products because of your lack of awareness to the pipelines of other studios or your specific customer base. This will require you to do a lot of research in many different aspects, as per what I have mentioned above: Technical skills, Presentation, Licenses, Customer base, Target Platform(s), Target market, Demand, Category, Niche etc. Get off the tools for a couple of days per week and thoroughly write out a plan, it doesnt have to be perfect as you will work it out over the long term. But make sure you understand the top-down view of what you are doing otherwise you will inevitably go in circles.

Hope that helps in some way.

Your answer

In order to post an answer, you need to sign in.

Help
Chat