Vosper MTB 3D model
HM MTB 409
Built under the Lend Lease agreement by the Robert Jacobs yard in 1944 as PT397. She was transfered to the Royal Navy on the 11.10.44. Commanded by Division Leader Lt C.R. Holloway, she saw action in the Mediterranean until being returned to the USN on the 7.11.45.
Measuring 72 foot 6 inches long, and powered by 3 Packard supercharged engines, developing 4050 bhp, she could attain a maximum speed of 39.5 knots.
Armament included 2 21inch torpedo tubes. A single 20mm Oerlikon cannon forward, with a twin 20mm cannon mounted midships aft. Two twin Vickers 303 GO
machine guns were mounted on the torpedo tubes as were 2 2inch illuminating rocket flair projectors. She also had provision to carry two depth charges or mines, for extremely close in work, anti submarine, or in the case of mines hamper shipping, or to dissuade pursuit. A smoke generator is carried on the stern to provide cover while disengaging the enemy or aiding disabled comrades.
She differs from British built Vosper MTBs in having SO radar, whip ariel and having PT pattern silencers fitted.
After the war she served with the Italian Navy as MS 433, until being broken up on the 31.12.58.
The model illustrates her as she would have appeared at hand over to the Royal Navy in 1944 in Admiralty Light Standard Scheme F.